Tucked away on a side street between the Penrose Libray and Antlers Plaza is the last architectural remnant from the famed Antlers Hotel. This brick facade, built in the Commercial style, welcomes visitors to the library parking lot. The Antlers Garage was built in 1921 from a design by prominent Colorado Springs architect Thomas McLaren. The front is adorned with an elk’s head and Van Briggle tiles. The portico was covered in terra cotta tile. At the time of its construction, the Antlers Garage was the first commercial garage between the Mississippi River and the West Coast. It had capacity for 150 cars and was used principally by hotel guests. When the Antlers Hotel was torn down in 1964, the garage was spared. At some point it was acquired by the El Pomar Foundation, who, in turn, donated it to the Pikes Peak Library Disrtict in 1991. Interestingly, most of the garage was demolished in 1996 to provide much-needed parking for library patrons. All that remains is the south wall, pictured above.