Cragmor Sanitarium

University of Colorado at Colorado Springs Campus

This four-story Mission Revival style hospital is now an administration building called “Main Hall”  on the UCCS Campus. The south-facing, terraced area near the back of campus was the location of the Cragmor Sanitarium, the premier Western facility for the care of tubercular patients almost a hundred years ago. Cragmor was built in stages, beginning in 1914. During its heyday, it was distinguished by its luxurious decor and famous, well-to-do patients. The building’s plan, which incorporated open-air sleeping rooms, was the collaborative work of architect Thomas McClaren and Dr. Edwin Solly, a physician who specialized in the treatment of tuberculosis. Known as “The Asylum of the Gilded Pill”  Cragmor treated wealthy, socially prominent patients through the early 1930′s. Cragmor’s elite clientele were hit hard by the stock market crash of 1929 and could no longer afford the high-end facility. On November 24, 1935, Cragmor was foreclosed on and was eventually purchased by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration. The University of Colorado acquired Cragmor in 1964 and began the transformation from medical facility to college campus.

Speak Your Mind

*