Monument Valley Park 2

 

PondIn 1926, when Colorado celebrated its fiftieth year of statehood, architect Thomas McLaren built a Spanish-style pavilion in Monument Valley Park, over Tahama Spring (the only known spring within city limits). On Memorial Day in 1935, a flood devastated a major part of Palmer’s beloved park. Four people died when Monument Creek jumped its banks. The raging waters washed away three rustic bridges, a lake and many gardens which were never replaced. Fortunately, the WPA repaired and rebuilt the park, constructing new features from more durable  stone, including stairs, benches, walls and a grandstand for the baseball field.  In 1956, the waterfall over the geologic column stopped flowing due to the discontinuation of its water source, the El Paso Canal. Another flood in 1965 washed away some of the WPA’s stonework as well as the pavilion over Tahama Spring.  In spite of these setbacks, Palmer’s garden paradise continues to thrive and flourish, thanks to the restoration efforts of the Friends of Monument Valley Park. In 2007, the park was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Speak Your Mind

*